Innovation is key to address the social and economic challenges facing the Sahelian region. Participants will discuss how an emerging innovative social and solidarity economy is fighting against the roots of the fragilities and the inequalities of the Sahel. This session will explore targeted programmes to train Sahelian NEETs (not in employment, education or training) in digital skills. The programmes should be tailored to local needs with agritech solutions and address incubation initiatives of innovative projects in the field of maternal and child health, development impact bonds, and feminine hygiene management. This session will build on participative methods to challenge preconceived ideas about how innovation and extended partnerships are making a difference against inequalities in the Sahelian Arc.
Innovation against inequalities: Bridging divides in the Sahel
How social and digital innovations can help fight against the roots of gender, territorial and digital inequalities in the Sahel
Addressing the challenge of inequalities in low income countries: tailoring tools and priorities to the circumstances and inequality dynamics of these countries
Wednesday, June 19, 2019
14:45 to 16:00
- Innovation in the Sahel covers digital technologies, delivery methods for development projects, and new financial and legal frameworks.
- The region faces multiple challenges: gender inequalities, territorial and ethnic divides, plus armed conflicts and the climate crisis.
- Disillusionment and radicalisation among its young population is another challenge.
- On the plus side, fresh ideas include reality TV as a vehicle to motivate young people to work on behalf of their local communities.
- Finance is also being mobilised through innovative development impact bonds.